Junior Achievement Europe has declared Pierce – The American College of Greece “The Entrepreneurial School of the Year” in Greece for 2018!
Every year, schools from the countries of Europe are awarded provided they fulfill specific strict conditions. Pierce has been taking part with great success since 2011 in the programs of Junior Achievement Greece and particularly in the demanding program “Virtual Business.” In this program, students set up and run a student business, guided by their innovative ideas. The final goal is to produce and distribute original goods and services and to create value chains.
During the period from 2011 to 2018, in the context of the after school club Pierce Junior Achievement Club, Pierce students created nine student businesses, among which are the most recent: “Hygeiokratis” (2014), “Youthelp” (2015), “BUDGEE” (2016), “Wheels of Travel” (2017), “ECOWITCH” and “i-ZEN Flow Meter” (2018). These student efforts received many distinctions, such as the Innovation Award, Social Entrepreneurship Award, Economy and Social Innovation Award and, at the same time, many of our students have won scholarships for the Entrepreneurship Summer School at the Athens University of Economics and Business. Over 150 Pierce students have taken part in these student businesses, and many of them have also achieved the “Entrepreneurial Skills Pass” (ESP), a Paneuropean certification of business skills for Lyceum students.
The 5 criteria for Pierce’s award by Junior Achievement Europe were the following:
- The School encourages and actively the participation of educators and students in programs of business education on a large scale.
- The School has a focused vision and plan for business education.
- There are specific resources given for business education by the School.
- The School supports its teachers in their continual professional development and training with regard to entrepreneurship.
- The School includes the local community and local businesses in their activities.
The award ceremony will take place on November 7 and 8, 2018 in Vienna, Austria. Pierce will be represented by the Teacher Advisor of the Junior Achievement Club, Mr. George Tziros. Along with the Managing Director of Junior Achievement Greece, Mr. Argyris Tzikopoulos, they will represent Greece at the grand celebration of Student Entrepreneurship in Europe.