Pierce – The American College of Greece, in its effort to support young people with special athletic abilities, is including athletic scholarships that represent 50% of tuition fees in its program for the 2019 – 20 school year.
Through this program, the students that are selected will be given the opportunity to participate in a full athletic program with the guidance of top, experienced coaches in the exceptional athletic facilities of the American College of Greece.
In a sport like tennis, in which the psychological factor is just as important as physical condition and regular physical training, a scholarship significantly reinforces the motivation of the competitor.
For the 2019 – 20 school year, Pierce is offering up to 3 new tennis scholarships: up to two (2) scholarships for two (2) boys born in 2006 or 2007, ranked among the top 15 in Greece, and up to one (1) tennis scholarship for a boy or girl born in 2002 or 2003, ranked among the top 10 in Greece.
Philosophy and Goals
The goal of the program is:
- to improve student-athletes’ performance in tennis,
- to train them properly so that they get to know the sport and distinguish themselves in the future at the national as well as the international level,
- to cultivate good sportsmanship and to prepare athletes to apply for athletic scholarships abroad.
Another main goal of the program is the academic success and progress of scholarship recipients.
The athletic scholarship in tennis covers:
- 50% of tuition fees at Pierce
- full coaching/training support
- training in Olympic standard facilities
- psychological coaching
- free participation in the training program of the Deree College Athletic Club
The criteria in the selection of candidates are:
- good sportsmanship,
- high Panhellenic ranking,
- technical and tactical skills,
- level of fitness,
- prospects for growth in the sport,
- willingness to do intensive training in the sport, as well as
- evaluation of mental stamina (“mental toughness”).
An essential requirement for candidates is a satisfactory performance in Pierce entrance examinations.
Candidates for the scholarship will be evaluated by a Committee consisting of Physical Education instructors and members of the Administration of the American College of Greece.
The person responsible for the tennis scholarship program and coach is Dr. Symeon Siomopoulos.
Criteria for Maintaining the Scholarship
To maintain the scholarship, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Academic performance over 15/20 and good behavior record
- Punctuality, interest and systematic effort in training
- Good sportsmanship, both in training and in competition (friendly and official), in accordance with the rules of the International Tennis Federation (ITF Code of Conduct)
- Participation in tournaments and all events of the Deree College Athletic Club
- Participation in athletic activities of Pierce (ASIS, Ministry of Education competitions, AEGEAN Tournament, etc.)
- Transfer to or registration in the Deree College Athletic Club
The Athletic Scholarship Application can be sent via email at [email protected] or via fax at 210 608 3214. Students that fulfill the above mentioned criteria can apply for the tennis scholarships from January 18th until May 10th, 2019.
For further information about athletic scholarships, please contact Ms. Christina Laskari at 210 6009800 ext. 1161 or at [email protected]