Pierce – The American College of Greece, in its effort to support young people with special athletic abilities, is including athletic scholarships that represent 50% of tuition fees in its program for the 2019 – 20 school year.
Through this program, the students that are selected will be given the opportunity to participate in a full athletic program with the guidance of top, experienced coaches in the exceptional athletic facilities of the American College of Greece.
For the 2019 – 20 school year, up to five (5) new basketball scholarships will be made available for male students born in the years 2002 – 2007.
Philosophy and Goals
The goal of the program is:
- to improve student-athletes’ performance in basketball,
- to train them properly so that they get to know the sport and distinguish themselves in the future at the national as well as the international level,
- to cultivate good sportsmanship and to prepare athletes to apply for athletic scholarships abroad.
Another main goal of the program is the academic success and progress of scholarship recipients.
The athletic scholarship in basketball covers:
- 50% of tuition fees at Pierce
- full coaching/training support
- free participation in the training program of the Deree College Athletic Club
The criteria in the selection of candidates are:
- good sportsmanship,
- regular physical training,
- physical condition,
- prospects for growth in the sport,
- the desire for serious work in the sport, as well as
- evaluation of mental stamina.
An essential requirement for candidates is a satisfactory performance in Pierce entrance examinations.
Candidates for the scholarship will be evaluated by a Committee consisting of Physical Education instructors and members of the Administration of the American College of Greece.
The person responsible for the basketball scholarship program and head coach is Mr. Panagiotis Makrydimas.
Criteria for Maintaining the Scholarship
To maintain the scholarship, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Academic performance over 15/20 and good behavior record
- Punctuality, interest and systematic effort in training
- Good sportsmanship, both in training and in competition (friendly and official)
- Participation in all events of the Deree College Athletic Club
- Participation in athletic activities of Pierce
- Transfer to or registration in the Deree College Athletic Club
The Athletic Scholarship Application can be sent via email at [email protected] or via fax at 210 608 3214. Students that fullfil the above mentioned criteria can apply for the track and field scholarships from January 18th until May 10th, 2019.
For the athletic assessment of candidates, there will be a period of training/assessment sessions (dates to be announced), in which the coaches will have the opportunity to form a complete picture of the candidates before making their final selection.
For further information about athletic scholarships, please contact Ms. Christina Laskari at 210 6009800 ext. 1161 or at [email protected]